Emergency Department Information
To call Emergency services phone: 000. Maitland Hospital Emergency Department call : (02) 4087 1000
Hours of operation:
Hospital emergency departments are open 24 hours a day, including public holidays.
Maitland Hospital , 51 Metford Rd, Metford 2323.
Use the Emergency Entrance to access. There is no access to the Emergency Department from the Main entrance.
As you enter the Maitland Hospital turn right at first hospital roundabout (third exit) .
Drive straight ahead past the Main entrance and towards the Emergency entrance.
Drop off zones:
- Outside the entrance and short term parking is available opposite the entrance.
Short term parking
- Opposite the Emergency Department entrance
- Is available for up to 4 hours.
- All day pay and display parking is available in parking area P3.
- 8 accessible parking spaces can be found in the short term parking area P1.
- 6 accessible parking spaces can be found in the all day pay and display parking area P3.
What to expect in the Emergency Department
- The Emergency Departments is to care for all types of emergencies.
- An emergency is when an illness or injury is serious and requires urgent attention.
- The seriousness of your health problem will determine when you are treated, not the time of your arrival.
- Those people with the most serious and urgent conditions will always be seen first. Those with less serious conditions may have to wait until the doctor is available.
- You will be seen by the Triage Nurse. They will assess the level of urgency of your presentation.
- Administration staff will confirm necessary personal details.
- You will be directed to the waiting area and called when it is your turn to be seen.
Whilst you are waiting:
- Patient Experience Officer's work in the Emergency Department to support and assist patients, carers and their families where needed.
- Let them know if you have any concerns or questions whilst you are in the waiting room.
- If you feel you are getting sicker, tell the nurse immediately.
- If you are in pain, please tell the nurse who can help you.
After you have been seen:
A Discharge summary which details treatment and plan is given to the patient. The plan will also be sent electronically to the patient's nominated GP.
List of Amenities in the Emergency Department:
- Toilets: There are Mens / Womens and an accessible toilet in the Emergency Department.
- Breastfeeding room
- Vending machine for snacks.
- Phone charging station.
Is it an Emergency or can I be cared for elsewhere?
The Emergency Department is your best option if you experience a serious injury or illness, breathing problems, or need urgent medical attention.
Other options for medical treatment are:
- Your local GP, medical centre, or GP Access After Hours care at Maitland Hospital phone: GP Access After Hours on: 1300 130 147.
- If you need advice, Health direct Australia (1800 022 222) offers a 24 hour hotline staffed by registered nurses and the National Home Doctor Service, 13 SICK, phone: 13 74 25.