Translated Patient Safety Briefing Cards
- Wear the non-slip socks if provided, laced up or snug fitting shoes or slippers with rubber
- Use your usual walking aids.
- If you need any assistance, tell us.
Preventing blood clots
- Wear your hospital stockings if advised and move as often as you can.
- Try to do simple leg and ankle exercises.
- Drink fluids as recommended.
- Take blood-thinning tablets or injections as advised.
- Wash/decontaminate your hands before and after visiting the toilet, and before all meals.
- Don't hesitate to ask our staff and your visitors if they have washed their hands before any contact with you.
- Tell us if you have diarrhoea or vomiting.
- Tell us if you have an allergy, or if you do not understand what your medicines are for.
- Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist about any concerns you may have.
- Ask about possible side effects.
- If you can, try to keep mobile, even in bed, and call us if you are uncomfortable
- We are very happy to help you change position, and can provide a special mattress or cushion for your support.
- Tell us if any of your personal information is wrong (ID band, address, GP, per
- son responsible).
- Tell us if you have any allergies.
- We are here to help you – talk to us if you have any worries or concerns about your treatment, or about what will happen when you leave hospital.
Before you leave, make sure you:
- Have your discharge letter.
- Have your medicines and they have been explained to you.
- Know who to contact if you have any questions or concerns.
- Know when your next appointment is.
For further information or if you have any concerns please talk to your healthcare team.