Prevocational Training (JMOs)
Prevocational trainees doing 10-11 week terms during their intern and resident years of training have the opportunity to gain experience in psychiatry terms across the Hunter New England Local Health District. HNET provides excellent training and support for prevocational JMOs and has previously been awarded the inaugural HETI Prevocational Education Training Provider of the Year.
Junior Medical Officer (JMO) Training Program
The Junior Medical Officer (JMO) Teaching Program is for PGY1s and PGY2s doing a Psychiatry term at locations throughout the Hunter New England Mental Health Service, and rural sites participate in the teaching via web-streaming.
The sessions are held each Thursday from 3pm to 5pm and offer JMOs the opportunity to expand their knowledge base in areas such as mental state examination, psychopharmacology, the Mental Health Act and Risk Management. The case based discussions and interactive nature of the teaching enhances the learning experience.
- JMO Education Program - Term 1, 2022 (7 February to 1 May 2022)
- JMO Staff Information Fact Sheet
- JMO Quick Starter Guide
- HETI "The Doctor's Compass - A Guide to Prevocational Training"
- HETI: Super Guide
- HNEMH Supervision and Support Structure
- JMO in difficulty flowchart
- JMO in difficulty procedure for management
JMO supportive Supervision/Reflective Group sessions occur each Friday 4.00pm - 5.00pm at the Mater Hospital (MHA Building Level 4) and online for rural participants.
Resources for your JMO Mental Health rotation are available on MedApp. Select HNE Mental Health as your hospital location to access this information.
Instructions for downloading the app are below:
- Go to the or and download ‘Med App' to your phone or tablet (iOS or Android).
- Alternatively – here is a link to invite you to the app: https://29b9.app.link/eF7zqlmEmS?_p=c11235dc99076ceee0038cfded
- Open up the app and if it has not already chosen HNE Mental Health as your location, choose your location as Hunter New England LHD – HNE Mental Health.
- Select the role/s that apply to you. For example, choose 'Intern' or 'RMO'.
HNET eLearning Centre
We have an online resource available to utilise that is intended as an additional learning platform for JMOs to supplement the JMO training. Visit the HNET eLearning centre via
JMO Term Descriptions
HNAPP (Hunter New England Accelerated Psychiatry Program)
The Hunter New England Accelerated Psychiatry Program is the first program in Australia which provided structured psychiatry training to interested PGY1 and PGY2 doctors who wished to pursue additional psychiatry and related mental health terms. JMOs are offered a psychiatry trainee as mentor across PGY1 and 2, are invited to social activities and additional educational exposure to mental health education.
If you would like to discuss the program, please contact Dr Vinodkumar Raveendran (Director of Prevocational Education and Training).