HNE Human Research Ethics Committee
The Hunter New England Human Research Ethics Committee is a Committee of the Chief Executive of the Hunter New England Local Health District and is constituted and functions in accordance with the National Statement in Ethical Conduct in Human Research 2007 (updated 2018).
The Hunter New England Human Research Ethics Committee has been Certified by the NHRMC to review Multi-Centre Research in the following categories:
- Clinical Trials Phase II, II & IV
- Clinical Trials Drugs and Devices
- Clinical Interventional Research other than clinical trials
- Population Health and/or Public Health Research
- Qualitative Research
- Mental Health Research
- Paediatric Research
Clinical Phase I Trials – Please contact our office for advice on HNELHD-ResearchOffice@health.nsw.gov.au
HREC Terms of Reference & Standard Operating Procedures
The Hunter New England Human Research Ethics Committee operates in accordance with:
NSW Health Operations Manual: Human Research Ethics Committee.
The Hunter New England Human Research Ethics Committee is constituted according to the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research 2007, and its membership is maintained in excess of the minimum requirements of Section 5.1.30, which are as follows:
- A chairperson
- Laywoman with no affiliation with the institution and drawn from the local community
- A layman with no affiliation with the institution and drawn from the local community
- At least two people with knowledge of, and current experience in the areas of research regularly considered by the Committee
- At least a person with knowledge of, and current experience in, the professional care, counselling or treatment of people
- A minister of religion or person of equivalent standing in the Community
- A lawyer.
Details of the Composition of the Committee for a specific meeting is available by emailing us HNELHD-HREC@health.nsw.gov.au
Clinical Trials Sub-Committee (CTSC)
The Clinical Trials Sub-Committee advises the Hunter New England Human Research Ethics Committee on methodological and pharmacological aspects of applications to conduct clinical trials and innovative therapy in the HNE Health.
Terms of Reference
- Clinical Pharmacologist
- Pharmacist with appropriate experience
- A Statistician experienced in the design of clinical trials
- Persons with research experience and/or expertise relevant to the areas of research reviewed by the Committee
- A Clinical Research Nurse