Basic Physicians Network
Who are we?
The Hunter Regional Physician Training Network was established in 2005 and since its inception has become the largest BPT Training Network in NSW. We train and support over 60 trainees across six hospitals, spanning two health districts, centered around Newcastle. We have a strong focus on high quality physicians training aimed at developing trainees into high quality clinicians with a wide ranging experience base through training in both metropolitan and rural training settings.
Why the Hunter network is for you?
- We offer world-class facilities across a diverse range of training sites.
- Experience the wonders of metro training in a city full of lifestyle with a network which focuses on balancing training with wellbeing and lifestyle.
- Great rural training sites that offer fantastic training because of our enthusiastic and experienced physicians and the breadth of pathology that is just not seen elsewhere. In addition you will experience the great rural community collaborative ethos not found anywhere else.
- If you are thinking of a rural career – this network is perfect for you as you are exposed to the best of both worlds.
- The opportunity to apply Educational Expense Reimbursement Scholarships.
Click below for further information:
What’s great about our Basic Physician Training?
- Training. World-class facilities across a diverse range of training sites.
- Mentoring. Fantastic Network Director and Directors of Physician Education at all sites who will provide regular feedback and guidance and will help you succeed in your medical career.
- Opportunities. Extensive track record in world-class research centred at the Hunter Medical Research Institute (HRMI) and extensive opportunities to teach students through our close affiliation with the University of Newcastle and University of New England
- Culture. We have the values, vision, goals and strengths in our culture to enable Excellence, Every Patient, Every time.
What education is provided directly by the Network?
We have the ability to deliver high quality education to every corner of our network to ensure that all trainees have access to education irrespective of their rotations. Our educational program includes but is not limited to
- Weekly BPT Education Lecture Series delivered by a highly qualified cohort of specialist physicians
- Weekly MCQ Tutorial sessions in the 6 months leading into the clinical exams
- Delivery of at least two computer based trial written exams leading into the FRACP written exam
- Clinical Exam preparation
- Weekly rostered Long and Short Cases
- Weekly Weekend Trial Exams
- Subspecialty long case Master Classes and Specialty Short Case Afternoon
What rotations are available in the Hunter Network?
John Hunter Hospital (Level 3)
Calvary Mater Newcastle (Level 2)
Tamworth Rural Referral Hospital (Level 2)
Wyong Hospital (Level 1)
Manning Base Hospital (Level 1)
Armidale Rural Referral Hospital (Secondment)
How are the allocations determined?
The Hunter Network generally operates on the 6/12/6 model where a trainee can expect to be sent to peripheral sites for the first six months and then be rotated back to the main teaching hospitals for 12 months of their exam preparation and then be rotated back out to the peripheries for the last 6 months. This is based on a two year contract with trainees coming to the Network having completed their BPT 1 year already, along with trainees sitting their exams at the first available opportunity. The Hunter Network supports trainees who identify they require additional time to prepare prior to sitting their exams and therefore rotations can be adjusted to allow this to occur which will sit outside the 6/12/6 model.
Allocations are released prior to the beginning of the year and are formulated based on an individual trainee’s preferences and College training requirements.
All trainees can expect to have met their College requirements at the end of their contracts prior to moving to Advanced Training.
BPT Education Reimbursement Scholarship
Please see Fact Sheet regarding BPT Education Funding Opportunities. For 2021 alone we have approved 16 Scholarships. Applications have now closed for 2021 funding.
For more information please contact:
Cheryl Brook, Network Manager