Managing the Shared Airway in ENT Surgery
- To review strategies for managing airway surgery, including selection and troubleshooting of specialised equipment
- To promote understanding of the challenges faced by surgical and anaesthetic teams
In small group sessions led by experienced facilitators and experts, you will cover:
- The selection, set up and use of specialised ENT equipment such as suspension laryngoscopes and rigid bronchoscopes in adult and paediatric patients.
- The equipment and techniques required to anaesthetise/maintain anaesthesia and oxygenate/ventilate patients when using the above equipment.
- Participation as a team in fully immersive simulations involving complex ENT cases. These scenarios provide participants with a framework for dealing with challenges in the Operating Suite including leadership, followership and speaking up for safety.
This course promotes a team-based approach and nursing staff are encouraged to attend with their medical colleagues.
Anaesthetists can claim 2 points per hour in the Practice Evaluation category (team training, with usual work team)
Eligible for Nursing and Midwifery CPD hours
- Associate Professor Kelvin Kong, Consultant ENT Surgeon with special interest in paediatric airway surgery
- Dr Daron Cope, Consultant ENT Surgeon with special interest in laryngeal, and head and neck cancer surgery
- Dr Niall Jefferson, Consultant ENT surgeon with special interest in adult and paediatric airway reconstruction and voice
- Dr Michael Dobbie, Staff Specialist Anaesthetist with special interest in paediatric airway surgery
- Dr Delyth Edwards, Staff Specialist Anaesthetist with an interest in the management of difficult airways, and anaesthesia for head and neck cancer surgery
Cost (includes GST)
Nursing staff, technicians and assistants
- HNE Health $102*
- Other $355
- HNE surgical & anaesthesia trainees $635*
- Other $1020
- HNE Health (incl. VMO) $1180
- Other $1610
*Subsidised by HNE Health