Are you interested in joining our Human Research Ethics Committee?
We are calling for expressions of interest for any general community members who are not currently involved medical, scientific or legal work and do not work with Hunter New England Health who would like to join our Committee.
Committee members are provided with an opportunity to complete relevant education and training, however membership does not attract any remuneration.
Committee membership requires some commitment. Agendas are distributed prior to each meeting and often require several hours of preparatory reading.
The Committee meets at the Hunter New England Health Headquarters (on the John Hunter Hospital Campus) or via videolink or teleconference on the third Wednesday of each month at 12pm. Meetings typically run for between two and three hours.
If this sounds like it could be for you, or you would like more information please contact Dr Nicole Gerrand, Manager Research Support and Development on 4921 4950 or by email.
Applications will be considered by a subcommittee of the Human Research Ethics Committee.
The Hunter New England Human Research Ethics Committee
- Meetings are held on the third Wednesday of each Month from February-December.
- Meetings start at midday, duration generally 2½ to 3 hours (longer if there is a large agenda).
- The number of protocols – Average between 10 and 20 per month.
- Each member of the Committee is assigned as the Principle Reviewer for about 2-3 protocols each month.
- Each member receives an email which includes the agenda, minutes from previous month's meeting and a zip file for each protocol for their review. Members are expected to complete all pre-reading before the meeting.
- Preparations for the meeting usually takes between 5 and 10 hours a month
The conditions of appointment:
- The term of appointment for members is normally three years, with the possibility of renewal for a further three years.
- Membership will lapse, unless exceptional circumstances exist, if a member fails to attend three consecutive meetings.
- A member may resign from the Committee at any time upon giving notice in writing to the Chairperson.
- Members of the committee agree to conduct themselves according to the values of NSW Health – Collaboration, Openness, Respect and Empowerment.
- The Hunter New England Health will provide indemnity for members of the Committee for any liabilities that arise as a result of the member exercising his or her duties as member in good faith.
- You will be required to submit your CV.
- You will be asked to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Members are not paid. However, expenses incurred in the course of serving the committee (eg petrol) will be reimbursed.
- Videoconferencing is available for members living outside Newcastle.