Research Ethics and Governance Fees
The increase in fees has been implemented to ensure sufficient funds are available to deliver timely services that support the HNELHD HREC and the Research Ethics and Governance Office activities to ensure:
- There is good governance and operational compliance by the HNELHD HREC and the Research Ethics and Governance Office to its obligations as directed by the NHMRC's National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Research Involving Humans and the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research; and
- To comply with NSW Ministry of Health policy and provide a mechanism to fund the necessary operational and service improvement for the Hunter New England Local Health District (HNELHD) Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) and Research Ethics and Governance Office to meet the NSW Ministry of Health Metrics for Health and Medical Research.
The new fee structure is to be implemented from 1 July 2018 which will effectively mean the revenue will start being collected in August 2018. Please ensure the new fees are incorporated into your study budgets.
The New Fee Structure is as follows:
|For the Initial Ethics Review |||
|Pharmaceutical Sponsored Trials||$5000 + GST|
|Research with Other Commercial Funding > $100K||$1000 + GST|
|Research with Other Commercial Funding <$100K||$250 + GST|
|Research with Competitive Grant Funding||$1000 + GST (or percentage of grant) |
|Investigator Initiated Trials Funding >$100 k||$1000 + GST|
|Investigator Initiated Trials Funding < $100 k||$250 + GST|
|Investigator Initiated Trials - No funding||No Charge|
|Collaborative Group Studies||$550 + GST|
|For the Ethics Review of Amendments|||
|Pharmaceutical Sponsored Trials||$550 + GST per amendment|
|All Research (other than Pharmaceutical Sponsored Trials) – Variations that requires review by the HREC Chair or CTSC Member regardless
of the type of research or level of funding||$250 + GST per amendment|
|All Research (other than Pharmaceutical Sponsored Trials) – Variation reviewed by HREC Executive Officer Only||No charge|
|For the Initial Governance Review|||
|Pharmaceutical Sponsored Submissions||$5000 + GST|
|Access Request||$50 + GST|
|Other || |
|External Entity Agreement with Private Hospitals/Rooms|
For a site conducting multiple trials - $2000 + GST per annum; or
For a site conducting a single trial - $2000 + GST per trial (if low activity at hospital)
- PhD project where the only funding is the PhD scholarship (which is a living allowance not a project specific grant)
- Studies funded from Internal Department SPTFs (this is usually left over funding from other research grants)
If you have any questions in relation to the new fee structure, please contact Dr Nicole Gerrand, Manager Research Ethics and Governance Office, HNELHD on 49 214950 or email Nicole.firstname.lastname@example.org
Administration and procedures for payment
The Fee will be administered by Health Support Services via the Hunter New England Research Ethics & Governance Office as follows:
A tax invoices will be raised and forwarded directly to the sponsor by Health Support Services on behalf of the Hunter New England Research Ethics & Governance Office.
All Cost Centre Journal will be automatically journaled from your nominated cost centre by our Business Management Accountant.
In order to generate the necessary tax invoice, the Sponsor will be required to provide the following information to the Hunter New England Research Ethics & Governance Office:
- Name of Organisation to whom the Invoice will be made out to;
- Address of Organisation;
- ABN of Organisation;
- Name and telephone number of the contact person to whom the invoice should be attentioned; and
- Purchase Order Number (if required)
- Site Number (if required)
Please note: All Tax Invoices are raised by our Centralised Billing Service, so if there are any special conditions required by the Organisation re. the payment of accounts, please ensure you provide the details so we can enter these instructions on the Request to Raise the Tax Invoice.
Payment is to be made as per the payment options shown on the remittance section of the Tax Invoice.
Any issue that the researcher/sponsor has regarding fees should be discussed with the Hunter New England Research Ethics & Governance Office of the Hunter New England Local Health District:
Lookout Road New Lambton
Locked Bag No: 1
New Lambton NSW 2305
Phone: 49214 950