John Hunter Cardiology provides inpatient and outpatient services for adults and children with conditions that affect their heart such as heart attack, angina, heart failure, heart rhythm disturbances. It is the largest centre outside Sydney and has led major innovations in the treatment of heart problems throughout NSW and Australia.
Our inpatient services are available 24 hours per day and patients are cared for within our specialist cardiology units:
- Coronary Care Unit (CCU)
- Ward G3
- Cardiac Catheter Laboratory (CCL)
Within our CCL we perform inpatient and outpatient procedures including:
- Angioplasty / Stenting
- Pacemaker / Defibrillator implants
- Innovative procedures for blocked arteries and treating the electrical system of the heart (EP studies, Ablation).
Our team works closely with heart surgeons and have a heart team which discusses the best treatment options for patients who may require surgery.
Access to our Outpatient Services requires a referral from your GP. We offer heart investigations such as:
- Electrocardiograph (ECG) the use of ultrasound (echocardiogram, coronary CT, MRI)
- Heart rhythm and blood pressure monitoring.
We also offer Cardiology Clinics / telehealth appointments with our cardiologists and have a number of specialist clinics including:
- Heart failure
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Aboriginal health services
- Antenatal and paediatric cardiology
- Pacemaker and implantable defibrillator devices follow up clinics.
Inpatient, outpatient and telehealth options are available to patients requiring further education, exercise and support to manage their heart condition.
Cardiac Outpatient Rehabilitation Services
Diagnostic Centre Outpatient Department
Cardiac Outpatient Consulting Service
North Block Level 2
Cardiac Catheter Laboratory (CCL)
Coronary Care Unit (Ward G3)