Muswellbrook Parenting Education Service
“Knowledge reduces fear and promotes confidence”
Learning about your pregnancy and growing baby, preparing for labour and the birth of your baby, preparing for the joys and challenges of becoming a parent are all very important parts of your antenatal care and planning.
The Muswellbrook Maternity Service offers the Birth and Parenting programs and Breastfeeding programs to support you and your partner with your physical, mental and emotional preparation for your pregnancy, birth, early parenting and feeding your baby.
The sessions are relaxed and informative, giving you and your support person the opportunity to meet other families and discuss ideas, thoughts and choices for birthing and parenting.
It is important to book your sessions early to ensure you don’t miss out on a time that best suits you.
|Parenting Education programs have temporarily ceased across Hunter New England Local Health District during the COVID-19 pandemic. |
We are now able to offer online Skype information sessions. Please click the link below to access our schedule of programs and book you place.
Why come to our programs?
Attending face to face education programs will help you to learn more about your birth and parenting journey as we are able to tailor our programs to meet your specific learning needs. You will share the experience with other pregnant women and families which is an excellent parent-education to meet others about to become new parents.
Our qualified, welcoming team will provide an environment which is informal and relaxed. Our programs are interactive and based on the most up to date information.
Birth And Parenting Program
Pregnant woman and partner/support person
(from 18 weeks gestation to book times that best suit you)
- Self-help strategies for labour and birth, including ways that the support person can offer support to the laboring woman.
- Understanding labour and birth, including when to come to hospital.
- Making informed decisions about your care, unexpected events of labour and after the birth
- Breastfeeding, infant sleep, settling techniques, infant communication & other baby care topics.
- Changes in the family relationships during the
period of the transition to parenthood and offer some strategies to minimise distress in the early weeks.
|Total of 12 hours education||From 26 weeks gestation|
- Observe (via films & discussion) skin to skin contact, baby’s signs of readiness to feed, attachment and positioning baby for feeding
- Common challenges of breastfeeding. Learn about local community resources and support
|‘One off’ free session||From 26 weeks gestation|
Our past clients say
“I felt prepared for anything !”
“Good time out from our busy lives to focus on the pregnancy as a couple; it reinforced what we read on internet; partner found it very helpful.”
“Fantastic to meet & share with others at the same stage of pregnancy & share questions about birth, etc; reduced the fear about what we were facing; we are still in touch with our group on facebook.”
The courses are held at Muswellbrook Hospital.
Contact the Maternity Unit now to book your place
Office hours are: Monday to Friday 9-4pm
Phone: (02) 65422023