Maitland Hospital's maternity unit is situated on level 2 of the main hospital building, it has 18 antenatal and postnatal beds and 5 birthing rooms. The special care nursery is able to care for babies from 34 weeks gestation onwards.
Models of care offered
- AMIHS antenatal/postnatal care
- Midwifery Group Practice
- Public Hospital Midwives clinic
- GP Shared Care
- Private Obstetrician
- EPAS (Early preganancy Assessment Unit) and a Daystay Service which operates from 0830-1700, by appointment only.Referrals and bookings can be made by calling the service during office hours on 49 392 427, or the Birthing Units after hours on 49 392 137.
Midwifery clinics are run on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays in the Mt Pleasant street Cottages with Midwifery Outreach Clinic at View St Cessnock on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Doctors clinics are held in the Addison clinic, hospital main building on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Home maternity service/community midwifery program
Midwives at Maitland provide a home visiting service for women and babies for the first five days following birth or longer if clinically indicated.
After attending the Birth and Parenting program, almost all parents report that they:
- Have greater confidence to deal with labour, birth and becoming parents
- Will use the relaxation skills practised during the course
- Are amazed and excited to learn about newborn baby behaviour
- Found being in a group of similar parents helped them ask questions and consider different perspectives they did not think about before
Frequency of our programs: -
- Birth and parenting classes run on Tuesday evenings and two Saturdays of the month.
- Breastfeeding classes run on a Tuesday once a month, either during the day or the evening.
- Positive Birth after Caesarean Section classes held regularly depending on need.
To book classes please phone: 4939 2092 or Antenatal Clinic Mt Pleasant St, 4939 2739 or email us HNELHD-TMHParentEd@health.nsw.gov.au
Schedule of our Parenting Education Programs
Birth and Parenting Class
|||13th November 2018||6 Weeks||6.30 pm - 8.30 pm||AVAILABLE|
|||17th November 2018||2 Weeks (Saturday)||9.00 am -3.00 pm||AVAILABLE|
|||15th December 2018||2 Weeks (Saturday)||9.00 am -3.00 pm||AVAILABLE|
|||24th October 2018||Once only ||1.30 pm - 4.00 pm ||AVAILABLE|
|||7th November 2018||Once only||6.30 pm - 9.00 pm||AVAILABLE|
|||19th December 2018||Once only||1.30 pm -4.00 pm||AVAILABLE|
Next Birth after Caesarean Class
|||25th October 2018||Once only||6.30 pm - 5.30 pm||AVAILABLE|
|||20th November 2018||Once only||3.30 pm - 5.30 pm||AVAILABLE|
|||13th December 2018||Once only||6.30 pm - 8.3 0pm||AVAILABLE|
Birthing Unit: 4939 2137
Maternity Ward: 4939 2124
SWISH Hearing Screen: Area Co-ordinator– 4921 3555