Inverell Hospital maternity unit has two birthing rooms and a six-bed ward where staff are able to care for women and their babies in the antenatal and postnatal period.
The nursery is equipped for babies born after 36 weeks gestation and as well to stabilise smaller babies prior to transferring to larger referral hospitals.
Our experienced staff of 12 Midwives include: a Clinical Maternity unit Manager, Lactation consultant, Clinical Midwifery Educator and three Clinical Midwifery specialists.
Models of care offered
- Part time AMIHS midwife antenatal/postnatal service
- Local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women from Inverell, Glen Innes and surrounding areas are also able to access our Aboriginal Maternal Infant Health Service for antenatal and postnatal care, this service is staffed by a Midwife and Aboriginal Health worker.
- GP Obstetrician (Antenatal care in doctor’s rooms)
Antenatal care is mainly attended local GP’s and in conjunction all women will see a hospital midwife for a booking in visit.
Midwives in Inverell conduct a 6 week Birth and Parenting Education Program for expectant parents where you will learn about: -
- self help startegies for labour and birth
- understanding labour and birth and when to come to hospital
- making informed decisions about your care
- breastfeeding, infant settling, infant communication and other baby care topics
- changes in the family relatinships during the transition to parenthood
The program is held at the hospiatl. Please contact the Maternity Unit at Inverell Hospital to secure your spot in this program on 02 67 219 532.
Please note that bookings are essential.
|11/09/2018||16/10/2018||6pm to 8pm|
|30/10/2018||04/12/2018||6pm to 8pm|
Contact Inverell Hospital Maternity Services
Phone: 6721 9532