Armidale Parenting Education Service
"Knowledge reduces fear and promotes confidence”
Learning about your pregnancy and growing baby, preparing for labour and the birth of your baby, preparing for the joys and challenges of becoming a parent are all very important parts of your antenatal care and planning.
The Armidale Hospital offers an antenatal education programs to support you and your partner with your physical, mental and emotional preparation for your pregnancy, birth, early parenting and feeding your baby.
The sessions are relaxed and informative, giving you and your support person the opportunity to meet other families and discuss ideas, thoughts and choices for birthing and parenting.
It is important to book your sessions early to ensure you don’t miss out on a time that best suits you.
|Parenting Education programs have temporarily ceased across Hunter New England Local Health District during the COVID-19 pandemic. |
We are now able to offer online Skype information sessions. Please click the link below to access our schedule of programs and book you place.
Armidale Parenting Program
Birth and Parenting program
Pregnant woman and partner/support person
(from 18 weeks gestation to book times that best suit you)
Armidale Maternity Unit Program:
- Self-help strategies for labour and birth, including ways that the support person can offer support to the laboring woman
- Understanding labour and birth, including when to come to hospital
- Making informed decisions about your care, unexpected events of labour and after the birth
- Breastfeeding, infant sleep, settling techniques, infant communication & other baby care topics.
- Changes in the family relationships during the period of the transition to parenthood and offer some strategies to minimise distress in the early weeks.
- Tour of the maternity unit is incorporated into the program
Total of 12 hours education
Session Options include:
- 6x2hour (Wednesdays)
- 2x6 hour (Saturdays)
- Wednesday evenings, Saturday all day
|From 26 weeks gestation|
Why come to our program?
Attending face to face education programs will help you to learn more about your birth and parenting journey. You will share the experience with other pregnant women and families which is an excellent parent-education to meet others about to become new parents.
Our qualified, welcoming team will provide an environment which is informal and relaxed. Our program is interactive and based on the most up to date information.
General information about educational programs
Courses are held at Armidale Maternity Unit lounge room.
Cost of programs
There is a fee for our program, in line with most Australian Maternity Services. The Armidale Maternity Unit charges $40.
Concessions are available – talk to our friendly staff.
Contact the Maternity Unit now to book your place!
Office hours are: Monday to Friday 8am-3.30pm