School Based Trainee Program
This program provides young people with valuable paid work experience in their local public hospital while completing the Certificate 3, Health Services Assistance. This is part of the HSC, Human Services Framework and contributes to the ATAR. The Certificate 3 can be used as a pathway into the Diploma of Nursing (Enrolled Nursing) or the Undergraduate Degree at University (Registered Nursing). It also enables young people to work as Assistants in Nursing when they successfully complete.
About Hunter New England Health
- Nursing and Midwifery makes up the majority of the professional workforce with careers in many areas including acute care, community, education, management and research.
- HNE Health is committed to employing and developing local people within teams that is representative of the communities in which we live, work and operate
- HNE Health is committed to employing, developing and promoting young people in a career in health
Find out more about Hunter New England Health.
The school based trainee role
If your application is successful, you will start your traineeship with HNE Health working as a School Based Trainee - Health Services Assistant.
Your responsibilities include:
- Assisting patients with activities of daily living including sponging and bathing
- Changing and making beds/cots
- Feeding people
- Assisting with pressure area care
- Transferring and positioning of patients
- Assisting patients with their mobility
- Weighing patients, measuring height and girth
- Taking patient observations as directed by the nurse in charge
You will learn how to do your job through comprehensive training at TAFE with ongoing development and support from the nursing team at your local facility.
As part of the Traineeship you will be required to complete a minimum of 100 shifts during a two year period. Shifts are negotiated with your facility Nurse Manager or delegate.
In addition you will be required to complete HNE Health orientation and comply with the NSW Health immunisation policy prior to starting work.
Traineeships are available
at: Armidale Hospital; Barraba MPS; Belmont Hospital; Bingara MPS;
Boggabri MPs; Calvary Mater Newcastle; Cessnock Hospital; Denman MPS; Dungog
Hospital; Emmaville MPS; Glen Innes Hospital; Gloucester Soldier's Memorial
Hospital; Gunnedah Hospital; Guyra MPS; Inverell Hospital; John Hunter
Children’s Hospital; Kurri Kurri Hospital; The Maitland Hospital; Manilla
Hospital; Manning Hospital; Merriwa MPS; Moree Hospital; Muswellbrook Hospital;
Narrabri Hospital; Quirindi Hospital; Scone Memorial Hospital; Singleton
Hospital; Tamworth Hospital; Tenterfield Hospital; Tomaree Hospital, Nelson
Bay; Wallsend Aged Care; Walcha MPS; Warialda MPS; Wee Waa Hospital; Werris
Creek MPS; Murrurundi Hospital and Wingham Hospital.
Find out more about School Based Apprenticeships visit the Department of Education website.
How do I apply
If you are interested in applying for a School Based Traineeship in Health Services Assistance (Acute Care) at a Hunter New England Health facility please complete the online application by following the link below:
For more information contact Martin Losurdo 02 4924 6837